Friday, January 4, 2013

On "Going Lean in '13"

"Go Lean in '13" Life Model
During my daily prayer-walks during the last month I asked the Lord to help me frame a theme for the coming year of grace 2013. In my reflections I asked Him for grace to "work out my salvation with fear and trembling in three aspects: Intentionality, Essentials and Integrity.

In the area of Intentionality I find myself in the last trimester of life and desire to finish strong. For me that means to be finished with "casual" or "passivity" in following Jesus. One of my mentors, Ray Ortlund, Jr. warns of idols that show up during the phases of life. In mid-life and twilight seasons the idols are "coasting" and "self-pity" respectively. I am trusting that the Lord will give me the energy and gifting to finish strong. This will work itself out in my involvement with the next generation of my family and the people of God with whom I'm called to serve.

In essentials I want to do the best things to a high degree of excellence. I'm done with the mass-production approach desiring to engage the various tasks and projects of life and ministry as a craftsman. No more mediocrity because of the tyranny of the urgent. Essentials relate directly with significance. This speaks to a desire for a Coram Deo (befoe God's face) framework for life.

With respect to Integrity the matter is straightforward - a desire that the public and private Gary are the same person in terms of my congruently living as a student and follower of the Lord Jesus. I am convinced that this aspect of life must be negotiated within the context of a faith community which has its own sense of misson and vision. I am looking forward to seeing how the Lord will fulfill His purposes for me and my family as I lean into 2013 under the rubric "Go Lean in '13." (BTW, there are some physical fitness and health goals that go along with it.)

See you at the Potter's Wheel,

G.K. Sexton

No comments:

Post a Comment